PRACTICAL INFORMATION – FOR YOU WHO WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN A DENTAL MISSION
Your help as a volunteer emissary makes a huge difference.
In developing countries professional dental treatment is often unavailable.
Your professional help means that patients get to go back to their everyday life, at work or in school, free of physical pain.
Also, your help will lead to a more knowledgeable community regarding dental health maintenance, and it will play an important role in preventing future problems.
You can volunteer on a dental mission, if you are
• interested in dental health in the world’s poorest countries
• a member of Dental Health Without Borders
And either are:
• a qualified Scandinavian dentist, dental hygienist, or clinic assistant
• a dental student who has successfully completed the 8th semester
• a dental hygienist student who has successfully completed the 4th semester
When is the next dental mission?
Rwanda: Week 7 (not yet confirmed)
West Bank: Week 7 (not yet confirmed)
Compulsory introductory course is held in Copenhagen on November 4th 2018
Rwanda: Weeks 27-28 (2 weeks), or week 29 (1 week) (not yet confirmed)
West Bank: Weeks 29-30 (not yet confirmed)
Compulsory introductory course is held in Copenhagen on 6 May 2018
How often are there dental missions?
There are two mission periods annually, in summer and in winter.
The periods are typically during school holidays – often in mid-February and July.
The number of dental missions sent within these periods varies according to the number of applicants.
15 March 2018 is the application deadline for participation in the summer 2018 dental missions.
15 September 2018 is the application deadline for participation in the winter 2019 dental missions.
Dental Health Without Borders administers the dental mission and takes care of the costs directly linked to it (interpreters, project related transport, etc.) including various equipment.
You will generally cover your own travel and living expenses.
The reason for this is that we are a non-profit humanitarian organisation, run by members, foundations, and with the support of our business partners.
NB: Remember, there are often extra unforeseen expenses when going on these types of trips – insurance, visa, etc.
Get funding for your trip
It is possible to find alternative financial support through various foundations and scholarships, and we recommend that you research what is available to you.
Here you will find our standard application form, plus a contract, and sample budget (in Danish only).
Fill out and submit the application form via email
Send the application form and attachments electronically to email@example.com
Only via email
It is NOT possible to submit your application via regular mail. If the application is sent through regular mail, you will not be considered for participation. Instead, scan your application and attachments separately and send them via email.
CV in English
- Dentists and dental hygienists must attach an authorisation/Certificate of Current Professional Status (Good Standing) from the Health Department
- Dental assistants must attach documentation for completed education
- Students and recently graduated dentists and dental hygienists without a Certificate of Current Professional Status must attach a copy of their diploma
Copy of valid passport
(be aware of local rules regarding expiration dates)
You will hear from us within 10 days from the application deadline
– You will hear by email if your application has been successful.
– In the same email you will receive information which will guide you through the next steps in the process, and you will find out about your team mates.
Book your trip
– Book and pay for your own trip
– Make sure you get the necessary vaccinations
Get travel insurance
– Participate in a mandatory course in Copenhagen approx. 2 months prior to your trip. At this course you will be asked to fill out a Criminal Record Disclosure.
– With your team mates, write a description of your trip
– Send at least 10 pictures from the dental mission (We must receive them within four weeks of your return home.)
Do you have any questions or doubts? Feel free to contact us either by phone: (+45) 3348 7703 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org